Surrender In The Hidden Place
God’s servants must be taught the value of the hidden life.
The earth was empty; a formless mass, cloaked in darkness. (Genesis 1:2) Have you ever felt like that? Formless and void?
In the opening of this chapter, I write about a time in my husband Steve’s life when he felt dark and empty. He went from a prominent ministry position to obscurity over night. The place of obscurity is hard for performers because we are the ones who are out there trying to change the world. Yet, the hidden place is often the place of greatest transformation in the life of the performer. This is the message of the parable of the grain of wheat.
The Parable of a Grain of Wheat
If you haven’t already, read John 12:24-25. In Jesus’ story, a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies. However, after it dies it produces much fruit. The point of Jesus’ story is that in the hidden place God often reshapes us and in the end we produce much more fruit than we would have had we not spent time in the hidden place.
This parable fits well with Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.” Jesus’ calls us to die to our own dream and embrace His dream for our lives instead. In order to help us in this process He often invites the performer to spend time in the hidden place; the place of obscurity.
The grace glimpse taught in this parable is:
In the hidden place, the place of obscurity,
grace calls me to bury my dreams.
Only then am I able to embrace God’s resurrecting power.
On pages 185 – 188, I describe how we are transformed in the hidden place.
- In the hidden place, our focus changes.
- In the hidden place, egotism dies.
- In the hidden place, we are purified.
- In the hidden place, we rediscover the all-sufficiency of Jesus Christ.
For Next Week
- Read Chapter 10 in Freedom From Performing and complete the Daily Dose of Grace.
- Write this week’s Grace Glimpse on an index card and tape it to your mirror. Every time you look at it remind yourself that as you surrender your dreams god will give you His dreams for your life.
- Read over the section called, “What Transformation Looks Like.” Choose one point and spend a few minutes journaling what change might look like in your life.
Group Discussion – Answer one or more of the following questions and leave a comment.
- Have you ever spent time in the hidden place? If so, describe what that was like for you and how God used that time to change you.
- Why do you think the place of obscurity feels so difficult for the performer?
- What was your favorite part of this chapter, and how did God use that in your life?
Leave a Reply