Years ago, I learned the extraordinary power of praise during one of the darkest seasons of my life. As I faithfully and intentionally praised God, the Holy Spirit strengthened my soul and gave me renewed hope. God is not some insecure being who needs an “atta boy!” He has designed us in such a way that what or who we worship, we become like. As you intentionally foster practices of worshipping God you will be transformed. It’s simply not possible to genuinely worship God and not be changed.
Throughout, the book of Psalms, the Psalmists give us practical ideas to strengthen our worship and praise journey. They teach us to pour out our hearts authentically and then shift our focus to praise.
As I’ve just released The Extraordinary Power of Praise: A Study of the Psalms for the Anxious Heart, I thought I’d give you a little tease about some of the practices included in the book that will enhance your worship walk.
5 Practices to Enhance Your Praise Journey
1. Get on your knees and listen to worship music. I recommend starting your day like this. It is helpful if the worship music is on your phone and you can put in earbuds. This blocks out other distractions and helps you focus. I can’t tell you how many times I have done this while traveling around the world or the nights that I couldn’t sleep or when fear was pummeling my mind. As I got on my knees, listened to the worship music, and allowed it to prompt my praise, God brought peace.
2. Read a Psalm out loud each day. Every Psalm contains some element of worship, even those that are considered laments. Reading the Psalm out loud keeps your mind from wandering.
3. Thank the Lord for His love every morning and praise Him for His faithfulness every evening. The rhythm of morning and evening is a beautiful way to enfold your day in praise and worship.
4. Sit in silence before the Lord. Begin with just a few minutes and gradually increase your time. Meditate on the Lord’s goodness and simply enjoy knowing His presence is right there with you.
5. Pray Scripture back to God. Learning to incorporate Scripture in your prayers is one of the greatest prayer and praise principles you can learn. When we pray Scripture back to God, we know we are praying in His will. As we pray the words of Scripture, our faith is increased and our anxieties calmed. Give it a try and you’ll see what I mean.
What others are saying about The Extraordinary Power of Praise:
“The world we live in has thrown us a curveball, and most of us feel apprehensive. In this powerful study, Becky Harling points us to the Psalms. Weaving profound biblical truth with poignant illustrations, this study emphasizes the necessity of clinging to Scripture, being intentional in our praise, reflecting on His truth, delighting in His presence, and rediscovering our joy. You can use this resource for personal study, but even better, gather your friends—in person or on a screen—where you can experience transformation together.”
Carol Kent, Speaker and Author
He Holds My Hand: Experiencing God’s Presence and Protection (Tyndale)
“Becky’s perspective on anxiety and worry is one we can all relate to. She beautifully leads us to God’s word and praise to renew our minds and settle our hearts on the truths about God that we can often forget during times of stress or anxiety. Through the practices of praise, memorizing God’s word and dwelling on the truths we read about before our head hits the pillow, she helps the reader by giving them a plan to implement these practices in their everyday lives. I believe her encouragement and teaching will help us all let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts more fully as we focus our hearts toward Him.”
Rebecca Dotson George – Speaker, Writer and Host of the Do The Thing Movement podcast
Oh, friend! If you have ever spent one sleepless night in worry, if anxiety has ever run away with your joy, if you have ever been overcome by concern over the unanswered questions of life, you must absorb the truth and the hope that is lavishly given in Becky Harling’s new book, “The Extraordinary Power of Praise”. This is the book that we all need to read as we process the events in our world today. Becky has accurately, practically and hopefully communicated the eternal treasure that is brimming over in the book of Psalms. Becky has truly hit the “mother lode” of untapped power from this vital book in scripture. I will be reading this book over and over again as I continue to tap into the power that is mine as I worship the Lord!
Blogger, Podcaster, Bible Teacher, Writer
Best-Selling Author of “Significant”, “Vibrant” and others
When I opened Becky Harling’s book, “The Extraordinary Power of Praise” I was literally drowning in my own personal fear and sorrow. From the very first page, God began to lift my heart and change my attitude. I began listening to precious u-tube praise music. I started printing out verses from the psalms and putting them around house, and journaling my prayers. I woke with praise on my lips and went to sleep praising God. When fear started to creep in, I wept before the Lord and shared all with Him and ended with praise. I have made a Thankful List, and so much more. All of these precious experiences were encouraged and directed by Harling in her powerful book, “The Extraordinary Power of Praise” I am so grateful. Thousands of others need this book as well.
Jennie Afman Dimkoff
Author and International Speaker
Global Board Member, ODB Ministries