While I’ll be the first to say, “Never underestimate the power of a great pedicure!” that’s not what I’m talking about here!
The prophet Isaiah wrote, “How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation” (Isaiah 52:7). I love these words! They remind me that God’s calling in my life and yours is to spread the good news.
I think people are sick of news channels these days, don’t you? They’re tired of hearing about terror threats, rogue leaders, nuclear threats, women being oppressed by sexual harassment and abuse, and the great divide in our government. These stories need to be told, but there’s a story full of hope that needs to be told as well – it’s good news! Jesus came because God loves us and wants a relationship with us.
- are the feet who enter a soup kitchen to serve in love
- are the feet who enter a hospital room to pray
- are the feet who enter a nursing home to sing and encourage
- are the feet who visit the homeless to pray, feed, and give hope
- are the feet who visit neighbors and bring cookies to encourage
- are the feet who babysit small children so a tired Mama gets a break
- are the feet who hike through jungles to give clean water and medical care
- are the feet of those who take in foster care children
There are so many ways to have beautiful feet – to carry the message of peace and hope to a discouraged world. What can you do this Christmas season to bring the good news to others? There are so many ways! Be creative and get your children involved!
Here are three easy ideas for you:
- Make Christmas cards and visit the homeless. If you don’t have a home, you can’t receive mail. My daughter Stefanie and her family made Christmas cards, cookies, and sandwiches. They spent Saturday visiting the homeless and praying with families who had lost everything. They are sharing the love of Christ in a tangible way.
- Visit a Senior Home. Many older folks have families who live far away and can’t afford to visit. Take your kids or grandkids and some snacks and go visit and sing. Share the simple story that God loves them. He hasn’t forgotten them and He wants a relationship with them.
- Explore ways to minister to foster care kids. I know that America is in a foster care crisis. There aren’t enough loving families for all the kids who are being pulled out of their home because of abuse and drugs. God’s heart is with the refugee, the widow, and the orphan (Deuteronomy 10:18). There are some great ways that you can get involved. Look into Backpacks of Hope, CPS in your community, and organizations that are ministering to kids in the foster care system.
Here’s the thing: don’t worry about doing the perfect thing. Just do something! Ask God to give you ideas for how you can carry the message of God’s hope and love to your community. That is your calling. Brainstorm with your kids~ I bet they have some great ideas! Ask them, “How can we as a family share the good news this Christmas season?” Your feet will look a whole lot more beautiful, I guarantee it!
What are your ideas, for sharing the good news of God’s love? What have you done as a family to serve others? I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment at www.beckyharling.com/blog