The Olympics are right around the corner. The world needs a break from violent news stories and political chaos. We need a chance to simply focus on the heroes that will compete for gold.
A.B. Simpson, founder of the Christian and Missionary Alliance said, “God is preparing heroes and when the opportunity comes, He can fit them into their places in a moment, and the world will wonder where they came from. When I think of heroes, my mind goes to men and women like:
- George Muller, who ministered to orphans in England and never took a salary. He simply prayed and trusted that God would provide.
- Amy Carmichael, who rescued hundreds of little girls from temple prostitution in India.
- Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade who impacted millions with his bold faith.
- Elizabeth Elliot, who was one of the most influential Christian women of the 20th century. She served the tribe that murdered her husband, wrote countless books of inspiration and modeled unwavering faith to millions.
You might feel like you could never be a hero like the great men and women listed above. But, I disagree. Every hero begins as an ordinary person who God transforms into someone extraordinary. Think about it. Moses felt terribly inadequate for the task of leading God’s people out of Israel. David, a common shepherd boy became king. Peter, a rough around the edges fisherman, became one of the founding fathers of the church, and Paul, a murderer became an Apostle.
I believe that God is looking for men and women today, who are willing to be prepared and pruned to be the heroes that will influence the world tomorrow. Could one of those heroes be you? Yes!
If that’s true, what can you do now to cooperate with God?
- Look for someone who has a need and intentionally ask, “How can I meet that need”?
- Ask God to bring your heart into alignment with His. He’s more concerned with changing the world than you are. When the news is filled with violence, ask Him what you can do. Maybe you can start leading a movement of prayer in your community. Maybe you can reach out to someone out of your comfort zone and simply bless him with a gift. Perhaps God will have you simply reach out to your neighbors or take a meal to an elderly person. Ask Him. He’ll show you.
- Praise God in advance for how He will use you. I know for sure that God has a purpose and a plan for you. Thank Him by faith that He will transform you as He uses you to help spread His message of love and salvation to others.
Friend, this week be a hero! Reach out and ask God to use you and then would you share your story? Leave a comment and tell me how you helped someone this week. Or, how you offered to pray with someone. I’ll be choosing one hero this week and sending that person a Starbucks gift card. But, you have to leave a comment! Can’t wait to hear from you.