Recently, I was asked what verses I recommend children memorize. What a great question! I figured since there are likely other moms out there wondering about the same thing, I would answer that question in a blog post. Here are my top five as well as why I chose them!
- Joshua 1:9 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” We taught our son this verse when he was little and felt terrified of riding the school bus. To this day, JJ says this was one of the most profound verses he learned that helped shape him as the strong leader he is today.
- John 14:6 “Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” There is quite a bit of confusion in our culture over who Jesus is and what He taught. I recommend this verse because it clarifies exactly what Jesus claimed and the implications of that claim. (Along with this, you might have them memorize John 3:16)
- Hebrews 13:5b -6 “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’ So we say with confidence, the Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” Fear is prevalent in our culture. Your kids need to know that no matter what they face, God will never leave them. They can have confidence. He is always be available.
- Ephesians 17:b-18 “And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have the power, together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.” Our kids, need to know and experience the depth of Christ’s love for them. I recommend this verse because if they memorize it when they’re small it will come back to their memory in adulthood. We all need the reminder!
- I John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Your kids need to know that no matter what foolish choice they make, God always stands ready to forgive. His grace is readily available!
These are my top five. But, what about you? What verses have you taught or are you teaching your kids? Leave a comment and I’ll choose one comment and send you a free copy of The 30 Day Praise Challenge For Parents. If you already have the book – you can give it away!