I love to listen to music and sing along in the car when I’m driving. Sometimes it’s a little embarrassing when I am jiving to the beats as I drive. But you know what? I don’t really care because I love to sing. And do you know what else? We’re commanded to sing in scripture.
Colossians 3:16 instructs us, “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs form the Spirit singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.” That’s actually not the only scripture teaching us to sing. There are lots of others. Too many to list here. Have you ever wondered why God commanded us to sing? Or have you ever thought it was strange that we sing in church? Well there’s a reason. Singing is beneficial to our bodies, souls and spirits.
Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Singing increases your memory. When you sing about God and His faithfulness it become easier to remember that God is good when life feels rough. Similarly, if you sing scripture it becomes easier to retain those verses. Isn’t that amazing? Lots of research has been done on the correlation between memory and singing. Feeling forgetful these days? Start singing! That’s a compelling reason to sing in the shower.
- Singing restores your joy. It’s a natural mood lifter! “Singing is known to release endorphins, the feel-good brain chemical that makes you feel uplifted and happy. In addition, scientists have identified a tiny organ in the ear called the sacculus, which responds to the frequencies created by singing. The response creates an immediate sense of pleasure, regardless of what the singing sounds like.” http://takelessons.com/blog/health-benefits-of-singing The next time you feel a little down, unleash your inner rock star and bust out a melody. I’m betting you’ll notice how quickly your mood changes.
- Singing lowers your stress levels. This week, when the stress piles on and you feel yourself getting tense, try singing. Turn on some Christmas praise music and sing along. Apparently, singing actually lowers your cortisol – the stress hormone. By the way, if you’re looking for some amazing Christmas worship music, down load The Christmas Praise Challenge on my website. It’s FREE! http://beckyharling.com
- Singing improves your communication and connection skills. Music is powerfully associated to our ability to communicate and connect. Parents who sing to their infants prepare their child to be able to communicate and connect more effectively later in life. As children of God, praising and worshipping God through song increases our ability to connect and communicate with God. As we sing our praise and worship, the Holy Spirit brings our Spirits into deeper connection with God. Our hearts become more unified.
- Singing strengthens your immunity system! Who knew? Some research supports the theory that singing actually builds your immune system physically. I’m not sure you should pack away your vitamin C but you should definitely add singing to the mix. Not only does singing strengthen your physical health it also benefits your spiritual health. Praising God builds your spiritual immune system and builds a spiritual shield against the attacks of the enemy.
So hey Friend, in light of all the research, it’s time to get your Fa La La on and bust out some tunes! And even if you can’t keep a tune, don’t worry, God hears in perfect pitch! Leave a comment and tell me, What’s your favorite Christmas carol?